July 14, 2017

Under The Tub

The little cupboard under the wash tub is always something people miss. I find it's a place I throw everything and try to ignore it as it's out of sight, out of mind.

But over the past few weeks, I've bought some work caddies and really, I can't ignore that space anymore - I have to really work on it to make it work better. 

So, last week, I sat down on one of my dropcloths for painting and pulled everything out and sorted through what I needed, what I didn't, and what could be worked on - found it wasn't as daunting as I first thought it was going to be. 

The main things which made it so daunting were all the bottles in there - the empty, half-empty and glass bottles - all sitting around in there looking intimidating. So, I pulled them out and looked what was inside them, which was shoe polish, polishing rags and brushes, and put them into ziplock bags. This keeps the cockroaches out of the polish, out of the brushes and rags and keeps the whole place neat and tidy. I added those two bags to the work caddy, freeing up plenty of space under the tub. 

Then, I found about 3 or 4 spray bottles. They all had either water or vinegar and water in them... they were all half full and too big of the work caddy - all but one, which was nice and small enough for it. So, I emptied out the water inside that, and put the vinegar and water solution from one large one into the smaller one and added that one to caddy.

Yay! Even more space... and three empty spray bottles. Well, okay, two, one of them is for terrariums; so I keep that filled with water, in case I need it for my terrarium in the living room or my bedroom. 

Well! How was that! I cleaned out all those empty bottles and spray bottles and found so much more space! Now, to put back the things which are needed for the laundry. I put back the bleach, the vinegar, detergent and bi-carb soda and stain remover and now, there's more than enough room in that little cupboard to have everything in there, instead of it all sitting around the washing machine. And the best thing is that I can get in and wash the floor so much better too without having to go around things that should be living inside that cupboard. 

I'm so glad I can go back and clean out a cupboard like that and not be worried about what to find in there. Seeing I've done this one before, all there was in it was too much of one thing and not enough of another. Now, it's got just enough room for everything it needs to be a small laundry. But in all seriousness, I can't wait until I move from this townhouse and into a place with a big enough laundry where I can put my clothes horse, ironing board and fit everything into their own cupboards without downsizing everything all the time and encroaching on my living room. 

So, how are you going with your clean out? Let us all know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment