May 30, 2017

Jane of All Trades

When you declutter your home, you discover that your home could do with a vacuum or a dust - or the furniture could do with a polish or a bit of the fix-up. It's just the Jack - or Jane - of all trades in us that makes us do this. 

Recently, my brother and I had been chatting on the phone about what's going to happen to my place over the next year. He asked me if I'd like to move away from it and into a 'real house' (this is a house on a block of land, with an actual driveway and lock-up garage), and I said yes, that's the aim. He asked me what I'd like to have in the way of a home. I told him a 3-bedroom place would be nice, with a good-sized laundry and an open-plan house (where I'd be able to use the furniture to its full extent instead of working around large counters and walls). He could see where I was coming from; and knew I'd love a place where I could spread out and I could have friends over for a bbq or dinner without worrying about offending my neighbours (as in townhouse complexes you have to make sure you don't bother people).

But with me decluttering and throwing out more than ever, I'm almost at the end of my journey. This doesn't mean I'm not going to post anymore, and it doesn't mean I'm cured of my cluttering problem. And it is a problem; as I'm always bringing home something and never have the space to put it. 

I still have a lot of craft gear I have to store in plastic boxes. I still have to move things around the living room to polish the piano. I still have to work on decluttering the home office in a huge way every few months. And the problem I have is that my place can't handle my things.

Now, don't get me wrong: I no longer have crap around my house. I have useful items, which don't have a home. And this is bad. I'm in great need of a bigger place where I can house my craft and art gear, have a library and my home office and make my living room, dining area and kitchen really look and feel great. The problem is that I'm powerless to get the wheels turning in the direction I want them to. 

I gotta be a Jane of all trades to start fixing up my place in the smallest of ways, to help my folks in some way to fix this place up. I just hope they see what I'm doing as a positive thing... cleaning out, cleaning up, and fixing up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment